Friday, October 10, 2008

Etsy Pick

I wanted to share some blog space with some of my favorite Etsy sellers! They are wonderful people with unique and artistic talents that they want to share with the world. So, here you go world...




1. Tell us a little about yourself…what you make and sell, where you sell, who you are, etc.


I am Melissa Howington. I live in a small town, Hogansville, Ga. I love to create things. My passion is painting. I currently paint pendants, picture frames and ornaments. I will paint ANYTHING! My broom is proof of that. I currently sell on Etsy. My address is mjhdesigns.etsy.com


2. How did you get started with crafting and selling?


Last year I saw those little pendants that people had painted on what looked to be tiny bathroom ceramic tiles but I didn't really like those. That started me on a mission to find that "perfect something" that I could paint on and I stumbled upon these little wooden squares and disks. I also like jewelry so combining the two just made sense. I started painting them for an after Thanksgiving show that I was having along with some other artist friends. I had no idea they were going to take off like they did. It has been almost a year now and there are people still going crazy over them.


3. What do you enjoy most about your craft?


That it doesn't take long and you have a finished piece, therefore I can move on to another idea....there are so many!!! I only have a small amount listed on my ETSY site but I have about 300 here at the house and I constantly have people come to my house to shop and give me more orders!


4. Describe your creative process…what inspires you?


Oh gosh! I get inspiration from color, color , color! Give me bright colors and I go crazy! I love everything colorful! Fabrics make me happy also!


5. What other interests do you have?


Too many! Well, I like to play around with designing special jewelry pieces....I haven't taken that very seriously, though. I like to paint on canvas and also fabric. My dream is to someday paint portraits from real life! There isn't enough time in the day with work and a family to try and fit my creative desires into my life! I would be happiest if I were creating all the time and could forget about work! Haha, who needs it?


6. What do you think of the handmade movement?


It is so cool. I think we all need to jump on that wagon and support each other.


7. Is there anything else you would like the public to know?


I love to do custom orders! You can contact me at mjhdesigns.etsy.com. And remember....I will paint anything if it sits still long enough!
Thanks for participating, Melissa! Good luck and God bless!

No comments: