Friday, September 26, 2008

Handmade With Love

I really do believe there is nothing like a handmade gift. When someone takes the time to make something, it really comes from the heart. Not only have I given gifts that I've made, but I have received some homemades as well. They are all treasures that you could never put a price on nor could you find them in any store. I encourage everyone who has a skill or a talent, whether it is woodworking, drawing, baking, or whatever, to make a gift for someone special this holiday season.

I thought I might share some pictures and give you some ideas.


This was last year's birthday gift from my dad. He took the bottom of an old sewing machine and made a table out of it. On top of the table, to the left of the pitcher, is a candleholder he made as a Christmas gift last year by attaching votive holder on a saucer to an upside down teacup. He is very talented!


I crocheted this dress as a gift to my sweet Baby E.



Another heirloom treasure produced by my dad, he made this cradle for Baby E. It is something that will be passed from generation to generation.


A few years ago, my dad custom designed and made this hall tree for us as a Christmas gift.


My mom has the talent and patience for cross stitch and made this for me.



My mom and dad love vintage and antique inspired things, so I crocheted this granny square afghan for them.


For my parents' 30th anniversary I made them a scrapbook with pictures and letters of congratulations that friends and relatives sent.


As a gift to her bridesmaids, a friend made this jewelry for us to wear to the wedding.

I've also noticed a new trend...buying handmade gifts. I've received handmade gifts that relatives bought knowing I value handmade over mass produced. I think this is a marvelous alternative for those who do not have the time or do not feel confident about their skills. There are so many options with online marketplaces like Etsy, craft shows, school holiday bazaars, etc. The items you will find are unique, of high quality, and worth the price. I urge everyone, in one way or another, to go handmade this holiday season...you won't regret it!



I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org


No comments: