Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Green and Clean

I have to admit that I'm jumping on the environmentally friendly band wagon. I'm tired of inhaling the noxious fumes of the cleaning products that are probably burning holes in our lungs. So, I am researching natural cleaning agents. This may be a hard change to make because I (and my husband) am so obsessive about cleaning. It's gotten worse since we had Baby E and we want to protect her from germs. However, I am going to try my hardest to rid the house of hazardous toxins. Not only do they jeopardize your health, they pollute the earth. And after all, we are only borrowing this land from our grandchildren and great grandchildren!

So, here are the steps I'm going to take.

  • Get rid of everything that says danger, poison, warning or caution on it.
  • Check if my town has a hazardous waste pick up day to safely discard these products.
  • Use rags and sponges instead of paper towels.
  • Use a safer antibacterial spray (2 cups of water mixed with 1 tsp. of essential oil of lavendar, clove, or eucalyptus) instead of chlorine bleach.
  • Switch to biodegradable dishwashing detergent and laundry detergent that does not contain chlorine.
  • Use baking soda and a damp sponge to clean kitchen countertops, sinks, and tubs.
  • Use white vinegar and lemon juice to clean wood surfaces.
  • Use distilled white vinegar to kill the mold in my bathroom.

This is a start anyway. Once I accomplish these changes, I'll search out more. Please post a comment if you know of any other natural household cleaners. I'd especially like to know how to naturally polish wood furniture.

Resources:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/clean-house-top-10-eco-friendly-ways.html